Admission to the Master of Science in Data Science requires substantial but specific mathematical competencies, typical of a major in mathematics, statistics, engineering, physics, theoretical economics, and computer science with sufficient mathematical training. In addition, applicants should have some training in programming and basic computer science.
To be considered for the program, you will be required to have taken:
- Calculus I
- Linear Algebra
- Intro to Computer Science (or an equivalent “CS-101” programming course)
- One of Calculus II, Probability, Statistics, or an advanced physics, engineering, or econometrics course with heavy mathematical content
Preference is given to applicants with prior exposure to machine learning, computational statistics, data mining, large-scale scientific computing, operations research (either in an academic or professional context), as well as to applicants with significantly more mathematical and/or computer science training than the minimum requirements listed above.
Standard Tests and Supporting Documents
You must submit the following to support your application for admission:
- GRE or GMAT scores
- IELTS or TOEFL (All applicants whose native language is not English and who have not received a university degree in an English-speaking country)
- Official college transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of Academic Purpose
For more information, visit http://gsas.nyu.edu/object/gsas.prd.data.
Current NYU Students
If you would like to apply to the MS in Data Science, a new application is necessary even if you are a current NYU student. The admissions committee would determine which courses from your current transcript can be transferred to the MS in Data Science degree.
Ready to Apply?
If your background meets the majority of these requirements, and you have a desire to develop the methods to harness the potential of data, then we encourage you to begin the application process. Please proceed to the Graduate School of Arts and Science online application to apply for admission.